Day Thirty-Seven - 17/10/2012 - Cork

     Today marked the end of my burn phone's unlimited texting, until I paid another €20.  The more interesting part of today was when I discovered what is, by far, my favorite cafe in Cork.  Named "The Bookshelf", it doesn't look like much.  Located on Pembroke Street, along a blue wall at the end of the street, a small column-lined door, bearing the title "Cork Library 1792" marks the entrance to this modest little cafe.  Inside, it is anything but modest.  An extremely comfortable array of armchairs, couches, and the like litter the ground floor.  A small, private area upstairs forms the perfect study perch.  There is a low table, easily capable of supporting a laptop and books, with a glass window allowing you to look down unto the cafe below.  Striking the perfect balance between cozy and modern, the upper level affords a nice view and a relaxing atmosphere.  A window sill, outfitted with a model ship, sits across from large bags of half-opened coffee beans, serving as a functional decoration.  They have some of the smoothest, yet richest espresso I have yet tasted, and they make all of their drinks with two shots to boot.  I cannot personally vouch for the quality of their other coffees, as I prefer my coffee black (but in Europe, the macchiato, or espresso with a splash of foam, is a favorite), but Meng vouched for the quality of their mocha.  A great place to study, to sleep, to talk, or just drink coffee, I will definitely be returning to The Bookshelf.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like my kind of paradise. Glad you found such a gem.

    ReplyDelete

Go raibh maith agat.
(Irish, literal: A thousand thanks)
Thanks a million!