Day Sixteen - 26/9/2012 - Cork

     Had another 9:00 class, called The Nervous System.  Topics were covered at an alarming rate.  After that, I headed to the library basement to get my laptop registered for use on the wireless, which took over an hour.   Once I was able to go online, I checked my email, and received some very good news!  Despite being previously denied the Psychology classes I was planning on taking, the department finally reviewed my transcript and approved me for the original modules I was planning on taking.  This meant that I no longer had to deal with timetabling nightmares and that I did not have class on Wednesday or Friday.  The day got significantly better.
     After that, I had to head over to 5 Perrott Avenue to register for my module within the history department.  As with many of the campus buildings they are in residential buildings that look like any other house from the outside.  Once you enter, everything is quaint and house-like, but the rooms have been converted into offices.
     Back on campus, I registered for a travel discount card, and they took my picture with a handheld webcam.  My quite blurry card will get me a discount on bus and train fares.  Made stir-fry noodles with veg at home with Meng.
     Walking back towards campus, we stopped at Fitzgerald Park, a park that is practically part of campus, north of campus and on the banks of the Lee.  The park is named for Edward Fitzgerald, the first Lord Mayor of Cork, who was in office from 1901 to 1903.  He came up with the idea for an exhibition, and opened the Cork International Exhibition on May 1st, 1902.  Today, the original fountain stands, in slight disrepair, along with the pond and bridge from the original exhibition.  There is also a skate park along with a museum and busts of important Corkonians.  A relatively new rose garden was added to the park, serving as a memorial for those who died on the Titanic.
     The park is also featuring some modern art by various artists.  One exhibit was a tree, fully covered with shards of mirror.
     The park today was very calming, and the rain decided to clear just long enough to allow us to witness a spectacular sunset.

1 comment:

Go raibh maith agat.
(Irish, literal: A thousand thanks)
Thanks a million!